1102 E Montecito St
Santa Barbara, CA 93103
The purpose of this book club is to explore how to mount an effective struggle against the destruction of the planet. Currently, we are reading the book Deep Green Resistance: Strategy to Save the Planet.
Our next meeting is on May 7th at 12:00PM at the Santa Barbara Eastside Library. This meeting will cover Chapter 4: Culture of Resistance. We encourage anyone interested in the book club to join us, even if you did not attend the previous meetings.
We will discuss the following questions:
1) How did the “Alternative vs. Oppositional Culture” comparison affect your understanding of this distinction and your understanding of political action?
2) Do you believe that an alternative culture built around the project of an individualistic experience (whether spiritual or psychological) can create a resistance movement?
3) Where have you seen millenarianism in political movements? How does this affect the effectiveness of those movements, especially ones you have been a part of?
4) Do you see a culture of resistance forming in this country, in this state, in Santa Barbara? How could we help to encourage a culture of resistance here?
5) How does the dominant culture teach us to ignore the wisdom of our elders? Do you agree with the analysis presented in this chapter that resistance movements need both the young and the old to succeed?
6) What was your favorite part of the reading?
The entire book is available online here: https://deepgreenresistance.org/support-us/deep-green-resistance-store/products/deep-green-resistance-ebook-detail. If you can afford to buy the book, we would greatly appreciate your support. We will also have physical copies for sale ($20 each) at all book club meetings.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.